Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Blog of the Day

April 21, 2015-

Yesterday was the Boston marathon and the friends I mentioned in yesterdays blog did Great! They were my inspiration for todays run. One person in particular inspired me to go out and run even in the rain! Yikes!

Stephanie Hoffman, and I will quote her or rather copy and paste her facebook post here:

What an emotional day! Marathon 6 in the books. I don't know where to begin. It was a hard trip to finally get to the start line. From qualifying in 2010 and missing registration cutoff by 30secs to giving up year to qualify in 2013 and finally getting accepted. I thought starting to train for Boston I would be more focused and determined but rather I got in a rut and depressed for the last 6months. Running felt like a job, My training was horrible and my attitude was just to... get it over with. I will never forget today. I still have to hold back my tears from the start to the entire course. It was AMAZING!! The people from Boston are awesome!! From the girls at Wellsey College giving out kisses, the locals from every town along the course, from guys at Boston College chanting let's go Fast Feet!! I loved every minute of Boston!! Now I'm ready for the next marathon in the fall and I will definitely be back to Boston with a different attitude. I will not take for granted and respect the 26.2. It's a good day when u can finish a marathon.

Her words stuck with me as I ran a 10 mile run this morning with Pam, it started to rain (a pretty good downpour at about 6.5 miles)......and I thought of how Stephanie said she went through the terrible training and all and carried on! So I thank you Stephanie for the motivation today, you never know how your words truly affect anyone right?!?!?!

As far as our training run went today, we started out on a fairly warm morning, a little overcast.....even though the forecast called for rain we headed out. Pam wore her rain jacket just in case! After we went looking for bagels at the bagel store, we headed over to Nesconset Park where we ran around the walkway there, we headed down towards the gazebo and just before we hit the hill to head down to the gazebo it started to pour- I would say it was about 6.5 miles or so! Free shower for both of us! We continued on anyway, afterall we headed out to do 10 miles and not give up before we got there!  I do have to mention that during the whole entire run the weather went from overcast to sun shinning to raining and then.....

We finished our run, and of course the sun came out once again.....I came home and just wanted to go on the bed and lie down, with Sandy by my side, and Candycane close by, and Skyler's pillow under my head!

On the note of motivation.....today, the final finisher crossed the finish line! 19 or 20 hours after starting......he had muscular dystrophy and every step he took must have been everything for him and for this point on EVERY STEP I take I will NEVER TAKE FOR GRANTED AND I (as well as Pam) vow to cherish every step and revel in all the power and beauty of just taking the next step!
As I think of several people close to me who do not have the ability to walk or even to stand, I will run with them in mind just like Skyler, Sandy, Candycane, and Pam have done previously I will follow suit and run for those who cannot!  Check this link out on the bit of motivation or inspiration from the marathon finishers: http://abcn.ws/1ObagBb





Oh, I do want to mention our fundraiser....you can help us help out (did I just go all Jerry Maguire on you all there?!?!?).....anyway click on these links and you can buy our book- in fact, we will start instead of just the month of May- we will extend it from April 15 to May 24th and with every book sold we will donate a portion of the proceeds to Kent Animal Shelter......
 
 
 Hard copy version:
 
EBook Version:
 
 
 To make a donation to Kent Animal Shelter go to out Crowdrise fundraiser page here:
 
 
Have a tail waggin' day and I'll see you tomorrow,
Scout and Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment